Friday, May 04, 2007

Tommy Thompson apparently doesn't know what he believes

Last night I (briefly) mentioned Tommy Thompson declaring that employers should be able to hire and fire employees based on sexuality. Looks like he needs to get together with his campaign staffers, not to mention himself, and figure out what he really believes.

A (bored and lonely) Thompson staffer responded to an email complaint sent into the campaign while the debate was still airing claiming that Thompson misheard the question despite answer the question TWICE with the same answer. Then this morning on CNN, Thompson HIMSELF declared he misheard the question.

TOMMY THOMPSON: I made a mistake. I misinterpreted the question. I thought that I answered it yes when I should have answered it no. I didn't hear, I didn't hear the question properly and I apologize. It's not my position. There should be no discrimination in the workplace and I have never believed that. And, in fact, Wisconsin has one of the first laws, which I supported.

JOHN ROBERTS: Right.

TOMMY THOMPSON: So, I just made a mistake and that's all I can say. I'm sorry and I misinterpreted the question and I answered yes, when it should have been no.... It's not my position, it never has been. I have always been against discrimination and prejudice. In fact if you would have listened to the debate, they asked me a question about racism and I said that the president of the United States, whoever he is, has to take the point and has to be the person that does not allow discrimination or racism in any degree, whatsoever.

How convenient to have "misheard" the exact same question TWICE. Not exactly someone I want to be my President.

No comments: